Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Veritas

veritas[ wey-ri-tahs; English ver-i-tas, -tahs ]
noun [Latin.]
-Truth

Magna est veritas, et praevalebit (Latin; Truth is great and will prevail)



"High Paladin! The Mass is about to start. This way, please."

Aequitus walked over to the priest, putting on his helmet and flipping the hood on his cloak on. He secured the energy blade sheathed on his waist as he followed the priest.

Life had never been quite easy on him. Aequitas lived in the slums when he was a young boy, and after a paladin saved him from a gang of robbers, he decided that he would want to be just like the man who saved him, kind and just; living by a strict code. He entered the church when he was twelve, and trained for the position of a paladin, working his way up to the position of High Paladin, the highest rank amongst them. Being the youngest person to ever bear the rank of High Paladin, he was praised and was promised glory when the time comes, but until now, it was all just sentry duty and training.

He stood idly in front of all the other paladins, his white armour shining in the sunlight, the golden accents and rims giving off a faint glow of gold. His white cloak seemed to shimmer under the sunlight as he stood in silence whilst the priest prayed. After the people left, he put his weapons in his quarters, and went for a stroll along the town amongst the many towns and villages and kingdoms on the planet they call Esteon. 

He casually walked down a street, his slim yet muscular figure hidden by his cloak. He bought a fruit on the way, munching on it as he walked. The brick houses and small markets around him were noisy as usual, the unrelenting sun in the summer shone down on him and the town, beads of sweat dripping down everyone's face. He enjoyed walks like this when he was off the job, it gives him a sense of serene despite the hectic, busy environment. The birds were chirping, the people were talking, the trees rustled, it almost sounded like a symphony made by nature, and it seemed like nothing could break that harmony. And yet, something did.

"Oi! If ye refuse to cooperate I'll haul ye back to the Church and have ye punished as a heathen!" A gruff voice said. Three armed men surrounded a defenceless old man, people rushing past them, no one wanting to meet their gaze.

He took a closer look. The three men were all dressed in white and golden armour. They were paladins of the church.

"I... I'm sorry, but it's all I got! I'm completely honest!" The old man yelled with his hoarse voice, holding out a hand with a few gold coins on the palm.

"This? All ye got? That's not enough, old man. Ye know the rules. Twenty gold coins or forty silver every month!" The gruff voice said again.

"I'm sorry! Give.. give me a few more days, I'll get it to you, I promise! I ain't no liar, sir!" The old man begged, kneeling in front of the three paladins.

Aequitus walked in front of the old man, pointing his finger at one of the paladins, "You. What kind of Paladin are you? Bullying a defenceless old man." He took off his hood, revealing his angular face, his messy black hair, and his grey eyes, looking right into the paladin's eyes.

"And ye are? Get out of the way before ye get hurt, lad. It ain't yer business." The paladin said, drawing his sword and pointing at Aequitus.

Aequitus grabbed his arm, elbowing the paladin in the face as he took the sword and impaled it on the wall. He took off the paladin's helmet and slammed his head onto the wall. The paladin grunted and fell, fainting. Aequitus took the sword on the wall and hacked at one of the two remaining paladins. He blocked the incoming attack as Aequitus let go of the sword, ducking and taking the paladin's shield. He slammed the shield against the paladin, and picked up one of the fallen paladin's helmet, throwing it at the last standing paladin. He blocked the helmet with his shield but it was too late; Aequitus was already right in front of him. He bashed his shield against Aequitus, but he dodged and slammed his shield against the paladin's stomach. The paladin buckled as Aequitus bashed the paladin on the spine with his shield.

He held one of the conscious paladin against the wall, a sword to his throat, "Who put you up to this?" He sneered, the blade sticking closer to the paladin's neck.

"The....The Priest! Priest Leaston had us do this! I swear I was just following orders! Rules are rules! Orders from the Priests are to be followed!" The Paladin said, his eyes shut.

"Yes, rules are rules. But, an unspoken rule has been broken. The one that all paladins are taught to follow; the rule that tells us in our guts that we are peacekeepers. We do not harm unless we are harmed." Aequitus punched the paladin in the face.

"Wh... Who are you?" The paladin asked, confused.

Aequitus took out the necklace always present on him, the one with the bronze celtic cross. "My name is Aequitus, High Paladin of The Church." He then showed him the insignia of the High Paladin, tattooed on his collarbone.

"Sir, I'm...I'm incredibly sorry. I... I didn't know..." His voice trailed off.

Aequitus sighed, letting go of the paladin. He walked away, throwing the fruit he was eating into a waste basket nearby, before putting on his hood.

He returned to his room in the quarters of the Paladins, donning his armour and made sure his weapons were usable, and he put on the cloak. He walked towards Priest Leaston's room, but was interrupted as a scream of agony came from the entrance of the basement. He rushed over, kicking the door open and quickly walked down the stairs. But even though he had prepared himself to face the corrupt Church, he could not believe what he heard next.

"I'm.... I'm sorry, Priest Leaston, I'll...I'll pay the protection racket, just give me one more week, I beg of you!" The middle aged man said.

Priest Leaston was surrounded by a circle of Paladins, the middle aged man lied on the floor, blood gushing out of the gashes on his bare back. "I'm sorry, Lareld, but your time... is up." He took an axe from the rack next to him.

"Priest Leaston, excuse me?" Aequitus coughed, flipping off his hood, revealing the gleaming siver helmet with the pitch black visor, wings painted on the side of the helm.  "What is this? Are you forcing the people of this town to pay you for protection?"

"...No, of course not, High Paladin. This man, is a heathen, a sinner. We believe that he should be punished." Leaston's left eye twitched.

"Please, sir, I have done nothing wrong! I am merely a victim of the wicked man you call High Priest." The man looked at Aequitus, pleading as he did so.

"Is this true?" Aequitus asked, his hand on the hilt of his sheathed sword. "Does this man speak the truth, Priest Leaston?"

"Do not listen to him, High Paladin! He is a sinner, and a liar." Leaston shouted, a desperate look on his face. "He is not to be trusted!" He pointed at the old man, trying to reinforce his point.

Aequitus drew his sword. "Somehow, I do not believe you." He assumed an offensive stance, "I am no longer your High Paladin if this is what you do."

Leaston's face twisted into a wicked grin, "did you really think I'll let you get away with this? You might be the High Paladin, but we outnumber you!" He laughed, and snarled, "You are not leaving here alive." He pointed at him, "Kill him."

The paladins drew their swords, advancing towards Aequitus, preparing to attack. Aequitus breathed heavily, ready to attack.

Priest Leaston clapped his hand, and told the paladins to stop. "I applaud your courage. But, Your armor is regulated by that collar. And without your armor, you are nothing. And now, observe the power of the High Priest, Rapteraoh." He chuckled, and began chanting an incantation.

Aequitus buckled, and felt the armor rejecting him. his head was clouded by thoughts; thoughts that were angry, thoughts that didn't belong to him. The paladins rushed forward and cuffed him to the pillars of the basement. Priest Leaston walked forward, and took Aequitus' sword. He admired the beautiful hilt and the glowing blade before plunging it into him. And then Aequitus remembered looking down and seeing his blade piercing his stomach and blacking out.

Aequitus woke up, surrounded by white. He stood up, finding himself among countless white pillars, a glowing figure standing in front of him. He walked forward, and the figure turned around, facing him. The figure was a complete replica of his armor, albeit with a glowing white halo on top of its head. He walked closer, and saw the figure's white glow flaring even brighter with every step he took.

"Who... who are you?" He asked, trying to incite a reaction form the figure.

"Me? My my, aren't you ignorant. I'm your armor, stupid." The figure answered, the glow fading a bit.

"But... armors don't talk." Aequitus said, cocking his head in confusion.

"Of course they don't. But they aren't me. I'm... I'm special." The figure nodded, trying to reassure itself that it's special. "My  official name , is Rapteraoh, The Empty God. Your people found my... dormant body twenty years ago. I woke up, but the lack of energy kept me down, especially since all my previous 'owners' abuse me too much. Geez, can you believe the scratches they got on me? Unbearable. But you, you're special. Your blood is special. They have... a special origin. That bloodline of yours is capable of wielding me at my full potential."

Aequitus walked closer, "Then let me. Bring me back. Bring me back if you're the god you say you are. Let me fight them." He wanted to go back, back to the basement, and finish what he started.

"Then tell me. Tell me why you want that power, tell me why you want to live." He chuckled, the glow fading completely, leaving only the broken halo floating on his head.

"Because what they are doing isn't right." Aequitus said, "That kind of business has no place in the Church, no place in the society that we live in. It goes against the teachings of the Church, it goes against every single thing about moral I know. I want to live to uphold the law, to protect all innocent people." His voice grew firm. "So let me fight them. Let me fight the corruption."

The armor chuckled, and nodded. And then Aequitus found himself lying on the ground, the sword in his hand.

He stood up, and found nothing but the shining armor on his stomach. No wound was to be seen. He felt a surge of heat building in him, and then a burst of energy was released. Everything around him warped due to the heat. His whole armor was glowing with divine gold light. His sword grew to the size of a claymore. He splayed his left hand, the intricate golden cross on his left gauntlet let out a soft shifting noise, emitting a shield of light. He knew about the light shield, but this time it seemed more focused, like a solid shield, taking the shape of an ancient Celtic shield.

Priest Leaston gasped. "How... what?" A few Paladins fell over.

Aequitus spoke, his voice a perfect blend of both him and the armor, "Stop it right there. Let go of him. And atone for your sins." He walked forward, lifting the claymore with one hand with ease, pointing it at the paladins.

They charged, and Aequitus stood there, idle. One of them hacked at Aequitus, he dodged the strike and pierced him with his sword. He turned and elbowed the second paladin and slashed, splitting him into two. He ran at the third one, ramming him with his shield, sending him backwards, a clear crack coming from his skull as it contacted the solid wall behind him. The other two paladins trembled. He walked forwards and put a blade to their throat.

"I do not attack the defenseless. Leave, and repent."Aequitus said, his voice firm and emotionless. The paladins scramble to their feet and ran for the door, dropping their weapons.

Leaston picked up one of the long swords, still chanting the same incantation, his voice trembling. He charged, but his untrained strike was easily countered and he fell to the ground.

"It has no use anymore, Priest. The worthy has appeared. The collar is broken." He said, his sword pressed against Leaston's throat.

"I'm sorry. I.. I really am. Just... Let me go. Please." The priest begged, tears in his eyes, "I'll repent! I will! Just, just let me go..."

"Your mouth is full of lies, Leaston. You have been the mastermind of this corrupt branch of the Church of the Ancients since the start. Your hands has more blood than all of those paladins combined. You do not have the right to live." Aequitus said coldly, swinging his sword. The Priest's head fell to the ground, not a drop of blood spilled.

He nailed the Priest's head on the wall, and carved the words "The corrupt will pay" on the wall. He turned to the old man, and said, "Leave, go ahead. The Church is no longer under the influence of corrupt priests." He walked away, the glow fading.

"But Sir, where will you go? You... you said you're not their Paladin anymore." The old man said, his voice trembling.

Aequitus turned around, speaking with his voice once again, "I'll go to wherever balance needs to be upheld. Because wherever there is bad, there has to be good. And when there's too much good, I have choice but to be evil."

And with that, he walked out of the basement, out of the church, disappearing among the crowd.



No comments:

Post a Comment